Thursday, May 9, 2013

Homemade Chocolate syrup

My kiddos LOVE chocolate milk! One day I look at the back of the bottle and see this nonsense:

There are so many ingredients my camera couldn't even focus on them! 

This is the ingredient list:

High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, cocoa processed with alkali, sugar, conatins 2% or less of: potassium sorbate (preservative), salt, mono and glycerdies*, xanthan gum, polysorbate 60, vanillian (artificial flavor). *adds a trivial amount of fat

WHAT?!

So, I began to search pinterest for a recipe. This is what I found:


LOTS of other mom's thought this was a good idea too.
The ingredients for the homemade syrup:



Cocoa, Sugar, Water and vanilla. 

HUH? That's all!? 
And the taste?? Rich, dark, delicious!!!

Here's how:

Cocoa!


Sugar!


Add cocoa to the sugar!


Whisk in water!


Heat until it boils! Watch it doesn't boil over. Stir until nice and smooth!


Let it cool! I kept an store bought syrup bottle to store this in. Plus it has the nice spout to squeeze it out. Store in the fridge!


And that's all I'm gonna say about that!


Happy Eating





No comments :

Post a Comment